In 1788, New York State purchased the "Valley
of Chenango" from the Oneida Indians a later sold parcels
at an auction in New York City.
During the winter of 1792 the first pioneers
arrived from Duanesburg to settle in what was to become Sherburne
Township #9. The Township of Sherburne was organized in 1795
and 20 families made their home in the tiny hamlet. Sherburne
grew quickly, by 1800 there were 1,282 residents and by 1835
that number grew to about 3,100.
The opening of the Chenango Canal in 1837
between Utica and Binghamton, which ran right down the middle
of Sherburne, greatly reduced the cost and time of receiving
goods and supplies. During the Civil War, Union soldiers set
up camp on the banks of the canal, on what is now the home
of Westlake Village. The railroad, like elsewhere around New
York, replaced the canal in 1867 and two trains came through
town on a daily basis.
In 1881, the Village water supply was developed.
Two reservoirs on East Hill Road still supply the Village
with quality water to this day.
Westlake Village is built on the site of the
original Sherburne Fairgrounds. The first fair was held in
1871. Annual memberships cost just 1 dollar! The well kept
race track was the center of interest. 1906 was the last year
Sherburne hosted the annual event. However, the new owners
of the property maintained the half mile track and several
of the buildings for the townspeople that enjoyed the sport
of harness racing.
M.W. Farley built and owned the house that
is now the Community House for Westlake Village. Farley was
a major dealers for hops during the era that Chenango County
was a prime producer of the crop. The hops were delivered
to the barn besides the house and then distributed throughout
the county to wholesale pharmacies and breweries. In the mid
twentieth century, the building housed an egg distribution
business called FUL-OF-PEP. What a fitting name for the Westlake
Village wellness center that is housed in that very same building!
For more history, visit the Sherburne Public
Library or as to look at our reference books.
The famous "Pageant of Bands" is held each
year on the first Saturday in June and attracts bands from
around the U.S.
Poster advertising the Annual Fair held
on the grounds of Westlake Village circa 1875. The Fair was
popular for years.
Early photograph of the harness racing
track held on the grounds of Westlake Village in the mid to
Originally on Main Street, the notable
Sherburne "Octagon House" is no longer standing.
The "Sherburne House" stood
in the center of Sherburne for several decades. It was a popular
stop for travelers and locals alike. The structure is no longer